Book #12: The Night Circus


The Night Circus, book #12 in the Year of 100 Books, is definitely the strangest read so far. I can't really say that I loved, loved, loved it. But I can't say that I didn't like it either. Really, I thought it was basically a 400 page short story. Nothing seemed to really happen, but that didn't make me hate it. I'm not sure I'm doing a good job here...

Let's discuss the plot, I suppose.

Marco and Celia are bound to each other as children to fight in a magical duel, the rules of which are never quite specified by Morgenstern. The arena is a magical circus (the description of which really made the book for me) but no one ends up winning in the way the the architects of the game would have hoped.

The detailed descriptions of the actual circus were incredible. But I thought overall the characters were blah and so was the story. That's my scientific review: blah. But perhaps worth it if you like fanciful circuses!

I'm going to need everyone to NOT SPEAK TO ME for at least the next month while I attempt to gain some momentum here.

OK, OK I guess you can speak to me. But not when I am on my couch competitively reading against myself.


No comments