Some of My Favorite 2013 Reads

Remember last year when I tried to read 100 books and I did a review every time I finished one?

I've read almost 50 books this year and I think I've been reading pretty fast...I'm not sure how I thought 100 books was doable last year?

I've read some really incredible books this year though, so I thought I'd share with you! You can find all of the books I've read since my graduation from Penn in 2011 on my Goodreads page (in case you are really interested in my literary opinions!).

I would also like to say at this point (because she's going to call me out on it if I don't) that I read a lot of these books because my Mom (who is a literary trail blazer!) recommended them to me. It is my goal in life to one day say to my Mom "Have you heard of this book?" and for her to say "No, tell me about it!". It has not yet happened and I don't think it ever will.


Where'd You Go, Bernadette (Maria Semple).
5/5 Stars 
This book was totally not what I thought it would be. I loved the characters so much and I loved how it was written. For anyone interested in a little mystery and the dynamics of family.

Eleanor & Park (Rainbow Rowell)
5/5 Stars 
I've read the other two books Rowell's written (Attachments and FanGirl) both of which I loved and read this year. I picked Eleanor and Park though because the ending was so intense! And also I just finished it four days ago...but you must read FanGirl too, it was incredible.

Faith (Jennifer Haigh)
5/5 Stars 
About a disgraced Boston priest and his sister's attempt save his good name. For anyone who went to Catholic school!

The Universe Versus Alex Woods (Gavin Extence)
5/5 Stars 
Whatever you do, don't read the ending in public...tears everywhere. About a young British boy who was hit in the head with a meteor and his friendship with a local Vietnam Veteran. Great for anyone who is looking for a moral challenge in a book. Might be my favorite book of the year.

Engagements (J. Courtney Sullivan)
5/5 Stars 
I've read two of Sullivan's other books and I haven't loved them but Engagements was really great. One of my friends said they thought it was a little depressing, but the characters were so wonderful and the stories were all intertwined...it was perfect.

The Husband's Secret (Liane Moriarty)
4/5 Stars
It was set in Australia and I don't think I've ever read a book set there. Make sure you read the Epilogue, it makes the entire book!!

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman (Eve Harris)
4/5 Stars 
A finalist for Man Booker Prize this year, about a young Hasidic woman in England who gets married. The story about Chani's family is wonderful, her mother was my favorite.



And there you have it! Some of my (read: my Mom's) best books that I've read in 2013! My Mom has a Goodreads page, too incase you're interested!

No comments