Book Review: One More Thing

I've been in a pretty big book funk for the past six weeks. I finished reading Meg Wolitzer's The Interestings (which I loved) in mid-January.

Since then I've tried to make it through two books, Gary Shteyngart's Little Failure and Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch and I just couldn't do it. I felt like Little Failure was the same story over and over again, chapter after chapter. I picked it up after hearing Shteyngart on NPR but in retrospect I should have known better since his previous book Super Sad True Love Story totally weirded me out. The Goldfinch gave me more anxiety in the first 100 pages than any other book I've ever read and I quickly lost interest even though it was the first book of me, my Mom and my Aunt Lau's book club (sorry, guys!).

Last night though, I heaved myself out of my funk by finishing B.J. Novak's new collection of short stories One More Thing. I don't think I've ever seen anything Novak has been in and I'm not a total fan of short stories, but this book got a lot of buzz so I figured it must be worth the read.

The stories in Novak's book range from one page to more than 30 and I genuinely enjoyed every one of them. Some of them are funny, some are sad and some left me a little confused but happy that I had read them none the less. My favorite story comes in the beginning of the book and its a story about a man meeting his grandmother in heaven. It is so not what you think its going to be, but I read it three times it was so wonderful and brought me such comfort. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone, I loved it!

On a totally unrelated but still B.J. Novak note...why are Mindy Kaling and B.J. not dating? I know that its 2014 and men and women can be friends without being in love but still I ask: would they not be the best couple? Like ever? I will continue to hold out hope!

No comments