Surprise Baby: Jonathan Matthew

The title of this post should really be "In Which My 8 Year Old Cousin Punk'd His Entire Family".

But before we go any further, I think this picture is a good introduction to what the rest of this post will be (sorry, Alyssa).


On Saturday morning, Alyssa and I woke up to a very messy house (Olympics party Friday night) when my Mom called me to say that my Uncle Lenny wanted to know if we wanted to come over for dinner. Pssh yeah we do, we love going places for dinner! So we laid around the house until 3:00 watching the Olympics and then we got in the car and off we went to New Jersey thinking of delicious dinner.

We thought that dinner was only going to be us and my Aunts but when we got to the house there were a ton of cars. I thought the people across the street were having a party, but when we got to the front door my Aunt Cristina's sister, Laura, answered the door. "What are you doing here?" I wanted to say...but that would have been rude and totally NOT what I actually meant...I was just surprised to see her. I was even more surprised when we walked into the kitchen and my Aunt's entire family was there. And we all just kind of stared at each other...confused.

My cousin Alexander ran into the kitchen from the living room (where it looked like a serious game of NBA Jam was going on) and hugged us hello. "You may be wondering where my parents are," he said "they are out running errands!".

Actually, Alexander now that you mention it I didn't even realize your parents weren't here. And do you really know what errands are?

And there we sat. Two whole families. Waiting for something, yet not quite sure what.

My parents arrived and were just as confused as we were...what do you mean they aren't here? Why are we all here? I thought we were eating dinner? Alexander, what do you mean Aunt Lau and Aunt Lyd took you for dim sum this afternoon? Why did they come early and take you out and more importantly WHY did you eat dim sum without us?

About an hour later my Aunt Lau told Alexander to go into the garage and out he ran. And a few minutes later, in they came.

Not a family of three.

But a family of four.

My Uncle (new Dad!), Aunt Lau, and my Mom hogging the baby! 


And we cried. Have you ever seen two whole families weep simultaneously? Geeze is it an impressive sight.


Alexander knew the entire time. My Aunts picked him up on Saturday morning and not only took him for dim sum, but went to the Party Store and another restaurant to order dinner for all of us and literally planned an entire party in under eight hours...balloons and all. And Alexander told no one. Not me or my sister, not any of his other cousins that were there, not his aunts and uncles or even his grandmother.

He knew he was getting a baby brother and he played video games and talked to us like nothing out of the ordinary was happening. He Punk'd us.

Welcome to the family, Jonathan Matthew...we've been waiting for you.

This is a full 60 minutes after he got home and I am still sobbing. 








No comments