A Recipe: Stowe Treats

Yesterday was my department's annual Holiday Potluck lunch! Even though my Administrative Assistant, Terrie, threatened to never speak to me again, I didn't make my traditional Trifle this time (I now owe her an extra big one on her birthday).

Instead, I made Stowe Treats! I had no idea what they were called until I made them for Sidesmas on Saturday and Becca exclaimed "STOWE TREATS!". Apparently her upstate New York family goes to Stowe, Vermont to ski (because its not cold enough in upstate New York?) and they make these all the time. Also, John kept calling them "crackers with brown sauce" which I hated. So here you go: Stowe Treats!

Here's what you need: 
1. Two sleeves of Saltine crackers
2. Two sticks of butter (two and a half if you're making a big batch)
3. One cup brown sugar (one and a half for a big batch)
4. Assorted candy for the top (optional)

"Recipe" (see how that's in quotes? Its not that serious) 
1. Lay out about 45 Saline crackers on a tin foil-ed cookie sheet while pre-heating your oven to 325 degrees


2. In a sauce pan (I used a pot because I like the extra security of the high sides so nothing goes over), melt two sticks of butter (cubed) over medium to high heat. Once butter is melted, slowly pour in brown sugar while stirring (this is important, otherwise it sticks!)



3. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat and stir for another two minutes. Then pour mixture on to crackers. Its going to look gross but you just have to go with it

4. Put them in the oven for 6-8 minutes (check them to make sure they don't overcook)

5. While they're baking, put your candy in a ziplock bag (I did plain and peanut butter M&Ms) and hit the heck out of them with a wooden spoon (how much are you guys enjoying these pictures? Enjoy my slippers in this next shot)


6. Once done, take crackers out of the oven and sprinkle candy on top. Let sit for at least 90 minutes before cutting (I suggest a pizza cutter). Put them in the refrigerator over night to be extra sure they're set.

Voila! Your colleagues will be super impressed...except for Terrie who will tell you that she is still mad at you even after you tell her how heavy a trifle is to carry on the train. Everyone else though will give you high fives!







No comments