Inflation Celebration!

Last Wednesday John came to pick me up from work and we made our way to the Upper West Side in the pouring, freezing rain to see Macy's Inflation Celebration!

My Aunt Lau used to take me to see the balloons get blown up (before it was an official Celebration, I think) when I was a kid. There were a few years that I even got to see the balloons the night before and then again the next morning as they marched down the city's streets. John had never been, and since this was the first Thanksgiving Eve that we were in the city together, we decided we had to go.

We took the B to 81st Street and when we got there, the station was already crowded and it was only 4:30. The cops were so helpful though, and we made our way up the stairs and into the rain to see the balloons. When I was a kid, we would go late, around 10:00 but since it was raining everyone online said they would go up earlier and they were right! This is what we saw as soon as we came out of the subway.


One of my favorite thing about watching the balloons go up is that usually the ones that have faces look like they are sleeping. Look at Sponge Bob!


And Papa Smurf is like "Guys, I am so hungover I had such a rager last night".


It was so cold and rainy but overall it was very well organized. There was a flow to the walking traffic and at the end of it, you ended right back at the entrance to the subway.


After a slightly harrowing subway trip home, we went to one of our favorite restaurants in the neighborhood. Earlier in the week, John had driven past and seen their Christmas decorations. "You will LOVE it" he said when he walked in the door. He knows me pretty well!




No comments